Skip to main content

Explicit Alphabet Knowledge Instructional Routine

 

Explicit Alphabet Knowledge Instructional Routine

 


Let's talk about the Explicit Alphabet Knowledge Instructional Routine. I use this routine daily in my classroom. We go through a letter a day. When we finish with the letters of the alphabet, we cycle back through to letters that were not mastered. Below, I am going to provide a detailed explanation on how I use the routine in my classroom.


Steps 1 and 2: Letter  Identification

1. This is the letter (letter name). This is the uppercase letter (letter name). This is

the lowercase letter (letter name). (Show and/or write the uppercase and then the

lowercase letter.)


2. Let’s practice naming this letter. What is this letter? (Point to upper- and lowercase

letters in different orders at least three times, asking students to say the letter name.)

 

If students do not use speech to communicate, then say, “Let’s practice naming this

letter. You say it to yourself while I will say it aloud.” The student can also use their AAC device to communicate the letter name. 

                                          

                                                   


I use the magnetic letters in the Lakeshore Teaching Tubs. They are wonderful tubs! There are mini objects that start with the letter in each tub. If you don't have the classroom funds to purchase, I would recommend making your own. Here is a list of mini objects that you can start to collect. 

 



 Steps 3 and 4: Letter Sound Identification


3. This letter (letter name) represents the sound (/letter sound/). (Provide stories,

mnemonics, and key words to help students remember the sound.)


4. Let’s practice saying the sound this letter represents. The letter (letter name)

represents the sound (/letter sound/). Say (/letter sound/) with me. (Point to

upper- and lowercase letters in different orders at least three times, asking students

to say the letter sound.)


If students do not use speech to communicate, then say, “Let’s practice saying this

letter. The letter (letter name) represents the sound (/letter sound/). You say the

sound (/letter sound/) to yourself while I say it aloud.”


Hint: For vowels, teach the short vowel sound. As you begin conventional instruction,

you can explain that the letter can represent its name or its sound in reading and writing.


                                             


I use Jolly Phonics in my classroom. Jolly Phonics is used in early elementary in my building, so the students are familiar with the actions and the sounds. 



 Step 5: Recognizing the Letter in Text


5. Now, let’s look for the letter (letter name). (Help students look for the upper- and

lowercase letter in naturally occurring print, such as books, charts, signs, and

other places in the environment that include print. Each time they locate the letter,

students should state the letter name and the sound it represents.)


If students have physical disabilities that prevent them from pointing to the letters in

print, then use partner-assisted scanning (see Chapter 11) or other ways to vary the

presentation so that the student is not restricted to identifying the letter from an array

of individual letters.




I use multiple books in my classroom to find the letter name. Here are a few examples.


                                             Steps 6 and 7: Producing the Letter Form


6. Let me show you how to write the letter (letter name). This is (letter name), and

this is (letter name). (Describe how to write the upper- and lowercase forms of the

letter as you write them.)


If students write with alternate pencils, then demonstrate how to write or select the letter using the student’s alternate pencil.


7. Let’s practice writing the letter (letter name) together. (Practice both the upper and

lowercase forms.)


If students write with alternate pencils (see Chapter 11), then ask the students to

write the letter using their alternate pencils.




If you have any questions, please email me at hellomrsnelson01@gmail.com or find me on Instagram




 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lakeshore Teaching Tubs

Are you working on letter sounds or rhyming in your classroom? Do you have a set of the Lakeshore Teaching Tubs? If you don't,  please keep reading and I will attach the object list so you can make your own.   In my classroom, my students have independent work time using a work system.  Last year, I put two tubs into a Sterilite container for my students to sort, but found that the students couldn't sort independently due to not knowing the object. I decided that I needed something to help the students sort the sounds so the Lakeshore Sound Mats came to be.  The students are sorting the sounds onto the mat and then transferring the objects into the clear tubs.  In my classroom, I have multiple levels of students so when making the mats I knew I needed to differentiate so I made mats with just two pictures as well.  The exciting part about me differentiating is that it serves multiple purposes. I also made another copy and made it into a book to read and have st

Dynamic Learning Maps

 Dynamic Learning Maps  Does your state use Dynamic Learning Maps? My state (Iowa) uses DLM for grades 3-12 and Early Literacy Alternate Assessment for grades K-6. I created comprehension quizzes for the DLM familiar texts. Below is a list of all the quizzes I have created! Anne Exploring Nature is Fun Henry and  Mudge Pigs All Around Exercising Your Dog Ready for Bed The Baby Dragon Riding on  a Bus Fun on the Bus Drop Everything and Read Book Reports Friends Forever Ramona and the Rainy Day Parades Helping Others Turtles What Teachers Do Getting Ready for  College Every Day is Different Table Manners Learning Being Nice at  Dinner James Helps the  Cow Annie Goes to  Alabama Business People Inventions of the  1920’s Horses Invitations The Garden Exercise Fun in Different Weather Musicians